New Edge, Credge, Edgium or Credgium – no matter what you call it, the Edge browser based on chromium was released on Jan 15th 2020.
To deploy the new versions using SCCM 1910 (or above)
- Add “Microsoft Edge” a product that is sync’ed in your software update point component properties
- Somewhat confusingly, the product is under the sub-category of “Windows”
- Then navigate to Software Library > Microsoft Edge Management | All Microsoft edge update
- Right click and select “:synchronise software updates”
- You can follow the progress of this process by checking wsyncmgr.log – the same log as you use to follow all software update sync’s
- At this stage – you can wait for anywhere from 5 minutes (for an environment that has sync’ed relatively recently) to hours (if this is your first sync)
- Once completed, you can refresh by hitting F5 – and you should see some content update for Edge in the right-hand pane
- Now right-click on the top node “Microsoft Edge Management” (yes, this is not intuitive) and select “Create Microsoft Edge application”
- Select and name and a source directory to be used
- Select a channel, or specific version that you wish to deploy. If you’re not sure here – use “stable” and “latest”
- Deploy to a collection, select your DP’s etc – all pretty standard stuff here
- You’ll notice that an application is created for you under the “applications” node – this is different to other software updates which are created as Software Update groups (SUG’s)
- Personally, i’d prefer to see it all managed under the one node – however, its still a good feature overall – as simplifies deployment of edge greatly – but still allows the admin to go and edit properties of the deployment if… for the invetiable situation of where the Microsoft pre-defined install doesn’t meet your orgs needs
Once completed, as per any deployment – monitor your deployment via the “deployments” area in the monitoring tab.